I know it’s been a while since I’ve written, and I’m trying to get back into it. I’m a little older, a little wiser (arguably), and lots of things have changed since I last wrote. However, the one thing that hasn’t changed is the fact that the music is still very much alive, and we’ve released and will continue to release material regularly. =] I’m still working on my Phase 4 – Take the Lead album, which has four (and a bonus) songs done currently, and Trifecta has four songs towards that album as well.
My birthday had just passed on September 7, and I made the decision earlier that week (those who follow me on Twitter @moon_shyne already knew) to make a beat a day, every day, for 365 days. I am also doing 1 song a month. Now these numbers are minimums, and if i can churn out more than 1 beat a day, and more than 1 song a month, all the power to me. =]
I’m five days in so far, and I’ve done five beats. Every Saturday, I will release a quick mix of all seven beats from that week, and I want the public to let me know which of the seven they feel was the best for the week. Now since this isn’t my usual “I’ll make the music when I’m inspired” style, I’m a little worried about how great everything will be. However, after five days so far, the beats I’ve designated as the beats for those days have all been good. Are any of them great? Maybe. You all can be the judges for that.
Interestingly enough, there’s almost a commentary for the day embedded in each of these beats. I’m starting to draw inspiration more frequently and using any event or atypical object or person for inspiration. I’ll give you mini-commentaries for each of the first 5 beats:
- Simple Technique (2013.09.07): There’s a song called Binibini, a Filipino song by a group called the Rainmakers. I’m Filipino myself, and I’ve used Filipino samples in the past (queue Miss Universe by HotDog). While driving, my wife had played this song, and from there, I drew the inspiration from the intro. This became the sample that is the core of this beat.
- Double Blitz (2013.09.08): While at home, my wife and I flipped through the channels and watched a portion of Step Up: Revolution. I wanted to convey a battle type of energy, and I drew from that.
- In Style (2013.09.09) : Not much to this one, I started from scratch and this is what came out.
- Storyteller (2013.09.10): A portion of this can be attributed to Holy Grail with the pianos. I was always fascinated with progressions with pianos where chords are played with the right hand and only the left hand changes for the bass notes. I’m playing a constant Bm the whole way, with only bass drops using my left. I liked the sounds of using 3rds of the chords for the violins, and the rest is history.
- Looking Back (2013.09.11): Being what day it was, I wanted to make something a little bit more reflective. I tried to go more for an older R&B vibe, going with a 2-5-1 in Bbm with an electric piano. I’ve never used an electric piano in a beat, so I felt good about that. Same as the day before, I was feeling the usage of the 3rds and 5ths as the basis for the melodies of the violin and organ, so I kept it going.
On Saturday, you’ll get to know these beats a little bit better. To make 365 beats in a year to me almost sounds impossible. I’ll take my chances though. So far so good!
More coming soon! Stay with us!